Saturday, November 6, 2010

Random Task: Return to High School.

So for the weekend, I came back to SF to visit my family after not seeing them for almost 3 months. Aren't I such a good son? So after five hours of travelling, I finally made it back home and boy does it feel great. Like honestly, I didn't how much I missed my mom's home cooking (such a great escape from the ever so delicious dorm food. not.) or just how much I missed having my own room again. It's great to be home. But, at the same time, I think I need to be back in Long Beach soon. Let me explain...

Last night, I went to visit my old high school to watch their school musical. I was an avid performer for my high school back in the day and was really excited to see the show. I promised them I would so that's what I did. But mainly, I just wanted to see my old friends again and catch up on what they were doing. I imagined the night to be spectacular; with the show being a marvelous hit, my friends glad to see me but not making too much of a fuss about it, and for me to just feel at home again with them, hopefully as if I'd never left. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

1. First of all, I got lost on the way there because I kept jumping back and forth between highways I had no clue I was on. Other than the fact I haven't driven for over three months since I got to college (damn shuttles and buses), I don't know why my driving was so poor. When I got to the high school, I already had the feeling I wasn't supposed to be here. I will explain further.

The play was alright. Mediocre even. Seeing as how I was one of the prouder alumna of my high school's theatre corp, I was disappointed to see an ordinary piece of work from an extraordinary department. I'm not sure if it was the lack of actors, energy, or passion (which is absolutely needed if you want to stage a great show), but it was just lacking something and the show never really drew me in like I expected it to. I got to catch up with my former acting coach, director, and mentor; which was really the highlight of the night and the big reason I came back in the first place. I could see in his face how stressed out and fed up he was with the school and I could tell, just by looking at him, that he was not going to be here for long. He asked how college was and I said "It was great." He asked me if his teachings and acting program helped me prepare me for college, and I genuinely answered "It did. I feel like I'm very well prepared. Thanks to you." He smiled and that was all I wanted from him. We said our goodbyes, and that was it, he went back inside the theatre and I went back into conversing with some old relations. I'm not sure if I'll ever see him again, but if that was the last time, then so be it; it couldn't have ended any better.



...To be continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment