Sunday, October 3, 2010

Quick Little Rant: The Social Network


Alright, this is just going to be a really quick little rant (hence the title) of a blog post and i know you're disappointed about it and all; but has anyone seen "The Social Network" yet? If you haven't, I really recommend you go and see it; especially at this point of the cinema season, where not many awesome movies are out (all are preparing for the epic winter season, of course). If you have, I think you'll agree with me when I say the movie wasn't bad at all. In fact, I truly think this movie was one of the top sleeper-hits of this year. Why do I say this, you may ask? Because it's better than I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) expected it to be! Facebook: The Movie, as its more ridiculously called, is pretty self-explanatory; it's the story of how the online drug known as Facebook was created. I remember reading a synopsis of the movie and wondered "Who and Why the hell would I spend money to watch how friggin FACEBOOK WAS CREATED?"

But lo and behold, on Friday night, I was bored, had nothing to do, and was itching to go in a movie theatre and just watch whatever random movie was there. A couple of dorm mates and I took the passport to the AMC and decided which movie to watch. It then became between The Social Network and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. Yeah, I think I'll go watch Facebook: The Movie.


I was expecting shit to be quite honest, but man was I wrong. The story had a lot of depth in it, and although the regular plot outline still seemed pretty dumb, there was a lot more conflict and events that led up to the creation of Facebook that I never even knew happened. Like, did you know Justin Timberlake was originally the co-founder of Napster and had helped the creators Facebook as a "social advisor," while fighting a crack/cocaine addiction and had a fetish for young girls? .....Oh what? Oh he was just acting? Hmph. I couldn't tell.


But all "Pop-Stars becoming Actor = failure" jokes aside, the movie is really dramatic. It entertains you with some hilarious character exchanges and really keeps you focused on what's going on since this movie is driven by dialogue, which was pretty fast-paced. Another part of the movie (or should I say character) that really impressed me was Andrew Garfield's performance as Eduardo Savrin. In case you don't know who Andrew Garfield is, he was recently cast as the new Peter Parker, and has had brief stints in TV shows and movies (The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus). His splendid performance really drives this movie forward and is by far, the most interesting character in the whole movie. I'm really excited what this young, strapping, up-and-coming actor can do as the new Friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. SO YEAH, if you like long, catchy dialogue and are interested in the origins of our social network, please go and see it. And I was just kidding about my boy J.T., he actually held his own in this movie and has really improved his acting. Can anyone say, he's bringing "SexyBack"?






1 comment:

  1. Wow - I might actually go see this movie now! I, too, was expecting it to be (with a better word) "bad." Maybe it's because the previews didn't make it seem that exciting, or maybe it is just the fact that it's a movie about Facebook. I mean, come on!! But now, after reading this oh so wonderful review, I might actually take a chance and see it!! Thanks for the review! Oh, by the way, is Justin Timberlake really the co-founder of Napster? Because I think he was on one of those commercials...or maybe it was a commercial for a computer...maybe both. I'm not really sure, but how was his acting in the movie? I remember some older movies he was in, (cough cough..Model Behavior... a Disney Channel movie which I'm sure at least one person has to have seen, or not!) his acting was disappointing to say the least. Anyways, great review. I can't wait to see what you have to talk about next! :)

    ReplyDelete