Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rico's Thirteen [# 5]

Can you feel it? Can you feel it in the air? Something epic lurks in the deep horizon. With the radiance of a thousand suns and the divinity of the heavens, it has come. Are you ready? ARE YOU?

It's my Top Five!

5. Mystic River


Directed by: Clint Eastwood

Underrated. Under-appreciated. Amazing. Appropriate words to describe this hidden gem of a piece of work. This movie was one of few that had my complete attention from beginning to end. The all-star consisting of Sean Penn and Laurence Fishburne, truly shined in this movie and each actor had something brilliant to bring to the table. The plot in this movie was one of darkness. It's about three men who knew each other since they were children and several years later, they grow apart as they become adults but get caught up in a crime that severely threatens each other's lives. It was really hard to watch this movie because of the strong guilty emotions that this movie provokes and just the gloomy atmosphere and theme it has. All the while it is still a movie to watch. From an actor's point of view, the performances displayed by the actors in this movie was just phenomenal. Each character has a different style and motive to their actions and its just very interesting to see the different routes they take to try and solve the supreme problem in the story. Direction was good, making the most out of a very hard movie script. It seemed like I was watching a really good play rather than a low budget movie. If you haven't seen this, please go see it, trust me, it's a little hard to watch and makes you uneasy at some points, but it is truly, one of the greats. (I mean cmon it was nominated for multiple awards, 64 to be specific, and won two oscars. That HAS to mean something.)


Memorable Quotes:

Dave: "I'm walking to my car, and this guy comes up to me. Asks for a light. I say I don't smoke. He says neither does he. So then my heart starts clocking a buck fifty, 'cause there's no one else here except me and him. So then he pulls the knife on me. Says, 'Your wallet or your life, bitch. I'm leaving with one of them'. So I try to brush past him, and that's when he slices me." 


"Maybe some day you forget what it's like to be human and maybe then, it's ok."

No comments:

Post a Comment