Saturday, October 16, 2010

Viral Videos 2: GET TO THA CHOPPA!

Oh 1980's action movies..How I miss you so. But not really. I think we can all agree that during those times, these movies were the shiz. Over the top, explosive action flicks such as Commando, First Blood, Predator, and the ever-acclaimed Kindergarten Cop, captured the audience's aggressive imaginations and presented them on-screen. Starred by big-muscled, borderline roiders and the very talented,  Big-time names such as Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, and the Governator were admired as gods. These action stars embodied what the spirit of action movies and the audience, for some unknown reason at the time, just loved seeing them beat the the crap out of someone or causing random explosions just for the sake of blowing shit up. I remember when I was kid and watching Last Action Hero and Terminator 2. I just thought those were the coolest movies and I pretended to be one of them, having playful, imaginary gunfights, with the occasional mouthed sound effects of "BANG!" or "WOOSH!" and recreating moments from the scene in my bedroom set. I miss these movies. Sure, in today's standard, they may seem corny, lame, and even comedic almost, and sure their not what some may call "masterful arts of work" and these eye-candy films can't contend with an Inception or a Citizen Kane, but boy, these movies know how to entertain and get you amped up for the thrill of the ride.

So this is my homage to the action flicks of years past. I salute you random explosions. I salute you undeveloped story line that makes up for sex and gunfire. And most of all I salute you cheesy one-liners. You are greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment