Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rico's Thirteen { # 7 }

Picking up where we left off, next up in line are movies lucky number 7. This is an odd place in this movie list, or in all lists. We are at the median point of the list but don't underestimate it because this movies is far from mediocracy.

Honorable Mentions

UP
The Lion King
Aladdin
Happy Feet
Wall-E






7. Toy Story 3

Ah! An animation movie! You didn't expect this one to make the list did you? Frankly, I didn't expect it to either! This definitely my inner kid coming out right now. I grew up on Toy Story. I even owned my own Buzz Lightyear action figure equipped with jet wings and all. A time, when we didn't have a worry in the world. Those were the days weren't they? But enough my nostalgic reminisces. Last summer when this movie came out, my friends wanted to watch it and I was like "Are you serious?" I decided to go and you know those people in the movie theatre that start balling at the end of a sad movie, well I became one of them. It's funny actually. I was so busy trying to "grow up" in my later stages of high school that I took my youth for granted. I admit, I weeped at the end when Andy had to go to college and leave his toys behind. I had no trouble at all relating to that since I was on the leave to college too. This movie touched me in so many different ways and came at the right time. This movie symbolized a farewell to my childhood and closed one of the greatest animated sagas ever.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about this movie! It just hit all the write notes. Rather than ending the story, in a way they evolved into and gave a future to all the toys and a purpose we can be content with. What I really enjoyed about this movie was a true villain, a villain that made the ones in the other movie look like nothing. Lots-O was powerful, manipulative, and down right evil! I love it! It gave the toys a more practical enemy and someone they all had a connection to in different ways. This was a great movie and the ten years we had to wait to see it, was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This was a terrific movie all round. I must confess that I too wept at the end, but my girlfriend, whose idea it was, laughed! I never let her forget that.

    ReplyDelete